Up Close & Personal with Johnny Bownes
Banner Elk, NC--Today we continue our Up Close series with junior defender Johnny Bownes. Bownes is one of nine players on the squad from England. He and two others hail from the same town across the ocean, Worksop.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae? I came to play soccer.
2. How long have you been playing soccer? I have been playing for 15 years.
3. What are your personal goals for this season? I want to help the team to win the conference.
4. What's your favorite soccer memory here at Lees-McRae so far? I would say winning the MVP award.
5. Who has been the most influential person on your athletic career? Alan Smith
6. If you weren't playing soccer, what other sport would you play? I would try tennis.
7. What is your major and what do you plan to do with your degree? My major is Sports Management. I hope to open my own gymnasium.
8. If you could travel back in time to any point in history, where would you go? I'd like to be at the 1966 World Cup.
9. What is your favorite book? My favorite book is the Da Vinci Code.
10. What is your favorite food? Shepherds pie
11. If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be? I'd trek to the North Pole.
12. What is one word that describes you and why? Happy; I am happy.
Johnny's Story... I played with the Rotherham Youth Team until I was 16. I broke my leg in two places and had to have two plates and nine pins inserted into my leg. After rehab I played at a local level and until I was recruited by LMC staff.