Banner Elk, NC--Today we meet up with Conference Carolinas' leading goal scorer freshman Lee Squires of Sheffield, England. Squires was also named the Player of the Week in the conference for week four. The forward has ten goals on the season.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae? I liked the look of the college itself, the coaching staff here matched my ambitions as a soccer player, and there is a strong English contingency within the men's team
2. How long have you been playing soccer? I've been involved with soccer for11 years.
3. What are your personal goals for this season? I'd like to score as many goals as possible and win honours both with the team and personally.
4. What's your favorite soccer memory here at Lees-McRae so far? This is only my first year! Meeting the lads......
5. Who has been the most influential person on your athletic career? My parents have had that role in my life.
6. If you weren't playing soccer, what other sport would you play? I'd play tennis.
7. What is your major and what do you plan to do with your degree? Athletic training. I plan to use my degree to become employed in some therapy capacity (physiotherapy for example).
8. If you could travel back in time to any point in history, where would you go? I'd want to see England winning the 1966 World Cup.
9. What is your favorite book? The Da Vinci Code is my favorite book.
10. What is your favorite food? Chicken and pasta, pizza and mashed potatoes!
11. If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be? You'd find me in Dubai.
12. What is one word that describes you and why? Dedicated as I am always looking to improve and better myself in all aspects.
Lee's Story … Born in Sheffield, I played for several local professional clubs at a young age. Then played at Thomas Rotherham College where I went on to represent my country in the English Colleges National Squad. I played at a decent standard after this and made contact with Coach Whalley who offered me the chance to come and play at Lees Mcrae.