Up Close & Personal with Lee Squires
Last week's leading scorer in the nation, Lee Squires, is up next in our series of Up Close interviews with the Bobcat soccer squad. Squires, averaging 1.63 goals per game, has 13 goals in only eight games. The Sheffield, England native is also fourth in points in the nation with 26. Join us as we get to know him a bit better.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae College? I liked the look of the college itself, the coaching staff here matched my ambitions as a soccer player, and there is a strong English contingency within the men's team.
2. What are you most looking forward to this season? We achieved a lot last year, and this year we appear to have a stronger squad so I am looking forward to repeating last year's achievements and going even further.
3. In which part of the game does your strength lie? My strength lies in scoring goals.
4. What do you do to prepare yourself for matches? I eat well, rest a lot, and get myself ready to go mentally.
5. Who has had the biggest impact on your soccer career? My parents as they were always there for me to take me all over England to games and practice.
6. What is your favorite part about being a member of the Bobcat soccer team? I love winning games and having a laugh with all the lads.
7. What personal and team goals have you set for this season? For the team our goal is to win everything we won last year and go further in the national championship. Personally, my goal is to beat last year's goals and points tally to help with the team goals.
8. What is the biggest mental challenge you face on the field? The biggest challenge I face is overcoming the pressure I put on myself to succeed.
9. Who has been the biggest role model in your life? How? Steven Gerrard …He plays in such a way that he carries his team when they aren't doing well, always performing in the biggest games when others around him don't.
10. What is your idea of a perfect afternoon? My idea of a perfect afternoon is preparing for a game in the evening.
11. If you could try something new today what would you try and why? I would try scuba diving because I always wanted to try it.
12. Describe your favorite dessert. Chocolate
cake and ice cream together