No. 2 Pirates End No. 24 Bobcats’ Season, 5-0
SAVANNAH, Ga. -- The No. 24 ranked Lees-McRae College Bobcats men's tennis team season ended Friday in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at the hands of No. 2 ranked and two-time defending national champions Armstrong Atlantic State, 5-0, at Bacon Park.
The Pirates (28-1) advance to Saturday's region final where they will take on the winner of Flagler and Francis Marion. Lees-McRae ends its season at 16-6 after advancing to the second round. It is the second season the Bobcats have been ousted in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
The Pirates opened up a 3-0 lead after doubles. AASU picked up two quick doubles points as No. 3-ranked Mikk Irdoja and Rafael Array bested No. 29 Steve Karendal and Travis VanHoy, 8-1, at No. 1 doubles, while Eudaldo Bonet and Paul Fitzgerald beat Shaun Sumner and Marko Zivkovic, 8-1, at No. 3 doubles. Lees-McRae was close to a point at No. 2 doubles as Alex Hayes and Nandor Solymosi led AASU's Matus Mydla and Daniel Regan, 6-3, but the Pirate duo rallied back to earn the win, 9-8, after claiming a 7-3 tiebreaker.
In singles, AASU notched two quick straight-set wins to clinch the match. No. 6-ranked Bonet beat Sumner, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 2 singles, then Regan dispatched Karendal, 6-2, 6-0, at No. 5 singles.
The winner of Saturday's region final advances to the NCAA Division II Men's Tennis Championships Round of 16 in Altamonte Springs, Fla, on May 12-15.
1. #1 Mikk Irdoja (AASU) vs. #17 Nandor Solymosi (LMC) 6-3, unfinished
2. #6 Eudaldo Bonet (AASU) def. Shaun Sumner (LMC) 6-1, 6-0
3. #11 Rafael Array (AASU) vs. Travis VanHoy (LMC) 6-0, 3-0, unfinished
4. #38 Matus Mydla (AASU) vs. Marko Zivkovic (LMC) 6-3, unfinished
5. Daniel Regan (AASU) def. Steve Karendal (LMC) 6-2, 6-0
6. Paul Fitzgerald (AASU) vs. Alex Hayes (LMC) 6-1, 3-2, unfinished
1. #3 Rafael Array/Mikk Irdoja (AASU) def. #29 Steve Karendal/Travis VanHoy (LMC) 8-1
2. Matus Mydla/Daniel Regan (AASU) def. Alex Hayes/Nandor Solymosi (LMC) 9-8 (7-3)
3. Eudaldo Bonet/Paul Fitzgerald (AASU) def. Shaun Sumner/Marko Zivkovic (LMC) 8-1
Lees-McRae 16-5; National ranking #24
Armstrong Atlantic State 27-1; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,5)
2010 NCAA Southeast Regional - Second Round