Banner Elk, NC--As we continue our series of Up Close articles we meet freshman Chad Mercado. This Orlando, FL native is seeing time in the opposite position and has 30 kills on the year so far. Join us as we get to know him a bit better.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae? I decided to come to Lees-McRae to get away from the big city life and play a sport I love...volleyball.
2. How long have you been playing volleyball? I got cut in 7th grade, made 8th grade but then didn't play the 9th or 10th grade seasons, and then 11th and 12th grades I returned to the court.
3. What are your personal goals this season? I hopefully will start, and if not, learn a lot to ensure I will start and play as soon as possible.
4. Who has had the greatest influence on your athletic career? My father has had that role in my life.
5. If you weren't playing volleyball, what sport would you be playing? I would be playing soccer or football.
6. What is your major and what do you plan to do with your degree? I am so far undecided but whatever I get I would like to earn the big bucks with that degree.
7. If you could travel back intime to any point in history, where would you go? I'd go back to when I was still really skinny and would try to cut down on all the junky stuff because it sucks now.
8. What is your favorite book? Charlotte's Web by E.B. White is my favorite book.
9. What is your favorite food? I'd have to say spaghetti or pizza.
10. If you could travel any place in the world, where would it be? I would visit the place where I am totally happy and have someone to hold right next to me.
11. What is one word that describes you and why? I would say weird. I am a little strange a little and a little different.
Chad's Story...I came from the state of Florida. Since I made the team in 8th grade I have wanted to play. In Orlando there are many more things to do so it was a little hard to decide, but overall I am glad I came here.