Banner Elk, NC--As we continue our series of Up Close interviews with the Bobcats volleyball team we meet up with freshman Kyle Gauger who hails from Penfield, NY. Gauger leads the Bobcats in digs, with 74 on the year, (2.31pg). Join us as he shares a bit more about himself with us.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae? What made me decide to come to Lees-McRae was the opportunity that was given to me by the volleyball coach. I was offered a scholarship and someday the possibility to play on ESPN. Lees-McRae also offers the major I am looking to pursue, Elementary Education.
2. How long have you been playing volleyball? I have been playing volleyball competitively since I was 12 years old.
3. What are your goals for this season? For this season my personal goal is to be the starting libero. For my team I want us to have our best season in school history and the same goes for the next three years after this that I am here.
4. What is your favorite Bobcat memory so far? My favorite memory so far at Lees-McRae was the first soccer game; the goalie made a great save and stared down the shooter. That was a good time.
5. Who has been the most influentail person in your athletic career? The most influential person in my career so far would be my high school volleyball coach, Mike Fusare. He taught me almost everything I know in terms of high level volleyball. He not only has been very helpful to me on the court but has been almost a second father to me off the court as well.
6. If you weren't playing volleyball what other sport would you play? If I wasn't playing volleyball today I would either be playing baseball, which I quit for volleyball, or soccer, which my mom tried to sign me up for in 7th grade.
7. What is your major and what do you plan to do with your degree? My major is elementary education. When I get my masters I plan to move back to my home in Rochester, New York and hopefully get a job teaching 3rd or 4th grade.
8. If you could travel back in time to any point in history, where would you go? If I could travel back in time I would go back to when the United States men's hockey team beat the Soviet Union in the Olympics. I would go there because that must have been the most intense rush after any sports' win.
9. What is your favorite book? My favorite book is The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. I could never put it down when I was reading it.
10. What is your favorite food? My favorite food is Easy Mac simply because it's easy, fast and satisfying.
11. If you could travel to any place in the world, where would you go? If I could visit any place in the world it would be Hawai'i just because I would chill the whole time I was there.
12. What is one word that describes you and
why? Chill...I'm laid back about everything I do, and I
don't let anything get to me.