Today we begin a series of Up Close and Personal interviews with the Lees-McRae men's volleyball team. First up for the squad is sophomore Robert Ritchie who hails from Hollywood, Florida where he played for South Broward High School earning three MVP awards, the 2007 Broward County Player of the Year, and was named MVP of the 2007 BCAA All Star game. He also captained the Florida Sons club team. The 6' outside hitter/middle blocker for the Bobcats is pursuing a degree in business administration. Join us as we get to know him better.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae College? I came to play volleyball.
2. What are you most looking forward to this season? I am looking forward to going to Florida and having the biggest crowd of the year to watch us play.
3. In which part of the game does your strength lie? I believe my strength lies in my defense and my knowledge of the game.
4. What do you do to prepare yourself for matches? I like to "pepper" hard.
5. Who has had the biggest impact on your volleyball career? Leo Jimenez and Jim McHugh (high school and club coaches) have had the biggest impact on my career as a volleyball player.
6. What personal and team goals have you set for this
season? Personally I would like to average four digs a
7. What is the biggest mental challenge you face on the court? The biggest challenge I face is listening to the coach.
8. Who has been the biggest role model in your life? How? Mother...She has worked up to four jobs at a time as a single parent to provide my sister and I with everything we ever needed.
9. What is your idea of a perfect afternoon? My perfect afternoon includes scuba diving and spending the day playing beach volleyball with all my friends.
10. If you could try something new today what would you try and why? I'd try skydiving. I'd like the adrenaline rush.
11. Describe your favorite dessert. Captain
Jacks Buried Treasure at Ale House.