Up Close & Personal with Chad Mercado
As we continue our Up Close and Personal series of interviews with the Bobcat volleyball team we meet up with Chad Mercado. The 6'5 sophomore, who plays opposite hitter for the squad, worked hard in the offseason in preparation for this season. In the classroom he is pursuing a degree in history. Join us as we get to know him.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae College? The chance to play NCAA volleyball was the biggest reason but also to be able to get out of Florida and check out the rest of the US.
2. What are you most looking forward to this season? I am looking forward to playing Cal Northridge and using our experience from a tough season last year.
3. In which part of the game does your strength lie? My strength lies in putting a little power behind the ball.
4. What do you do to prepare yourself for matches? I take a shower as close to the game as possible, listen to some amp music, and focus on what I am about to do on the court.
5. Who has had the biggest impact on your volleyball career? That would have to be the Orlando Gold for cutting me my 17s year.
6. What is your favorite part about being a member of the Bobcat volleyball team? The team is hilarious, and the trips are off the chain.
7. What personal and team goals have you set for this season? I would like to achieve a 30 kill game and see the team win 19-20 games.
8. What is the biggest mental challenge you face on the court? Overcoming getting stuffed is a big mental challenge.
9. Who has been the biggest role model in your life? How? My mom…She raised me on her own and taught me my values. I also learned her strength and sense of humor.
10. What is your idea of a perfect afternoon? My idea of a perfect afternoon is relaxing on the couch when it's snowing or raining outside and watching movies all day.
11. If you could try something new today what would you try and why? I would try scuba diving or snowboarding.
12. Describe your favorite dessert. Well,
Captain Jacks Buried Treasure from Ale House is dank. It is a warm
brownie with hot fudge, a scoop of ice cream, whip cream, and