Banner Elk, NC--Join us as we get to know this freshman runner from Smithfield, NC in an Up Close interview.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae?
This seemed like a very good place to go to school. It is surrounded by the mountains and the high altitude also seemed like it would be great to train in. Plus I had never really been to the mountains and wanted to experience something new, which i definitely have.
2. How long have you been running cross country/track?
I ran in 7th and 8th grade but this wasnt that serious. Then my junior year I started seriously running until I graduated from high school. So with that, I have been running, seriously, for three years.
3. What are your personal goals for this track season?
I want to work on the 800 meters and get better at it and hopefully I will win it.
4. What's your favorite cross country/track memory here at Lees-McRae so far?
I enjoyed preseason when we were all so new to the whole college thing and the entire campus was ours alone. We played a lot of ultimate frisbee and had a lot of fun.
5. What is your favorite part of the team here at Lees-McRae?
My favorite aspect of the team is getting to know so many new and different people that I might not otherwise have the chance to know.
6. Who has been the most influential person on your athletic career?
The most influential person in my athletic career has to be Coach Loia. He was my high school coach. He always told me that I should do my best and never be satisfied with what I have done. I should always try go even higher and higher on the scale. He is like a father to me and if wasn't for him i dont think i would have gotten as far as i have.
7. If you weren't running, what other sport would you play?
I would definitely cycle. I like road and mountain bike. Its so intense.
8. What is your favorite thing to do outside of practice?
I like to be involved in a lot of the activities on campus. The most activity that i am involved on campus now is STAND, which I started myself.
9. What is your major and what do you plan to do with your degree?
My major is international studies and political science. I plan
helping people with my degree. I might end up going into politics
or something such as this. However, I do want to go to graduate
school and if I am able to, I will get my masters in Non-Profit
10. What is your favorite band?
I can't really decide because I like so many different types of music.
11. If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be?
Right now, I would go to Darfur because I would like to see, first hand, what is happening to those poor people in Sudan.
12. What is one word that describes you and why?
"Independent"- I am a very independent person and I am proud of that fact. I am not afraid of most things and I know I can and I have made it on my own. I am very outspoken as a result of this independence and I feel that we all have voices that should be heard. I am not afraid to use mine.