Up Close & Personal with Lewis Martin
Banner Elk, NC--Join us as we continue our series of interviews with members of the Bobcats cross country team. Today we meet with redshirt senior Lewis Martin of Charlottesville, VA who started off the season by running a 25:50 in the 8K race in Spartanburg, SC earning him a third place finish out of 177 runners. Throughout the seaon he has chipped the seconds off his time running a PR of 25:00 in the Blue Ridge Mountain Open in Boone, NC. Martin is expected to be near the front fo the race in this weekend's regional meet in Wingate, NC.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae? True Story: I was at a college fair my senior year and no one was going up to the Lees-McRae booth so I decided to give the person at the booth something to do and got some info. I didn't really want to come originally but my Dad said unless you want to take out student loans Lees-McRae is the school for you, so…
2. What are your personal goals for this season? I want to be All-Conference, All-Region, All-American.
3. What is your favorite part of cross country here at Lees-McRae? The history of success the team has achieved for the past couple of years is.
4. Who has been the most influential person on your athletic career? I'd say all the runners that I've been around who have been faster than me. I keep seeing how hard work defies your justification of potential.
5. If you weren't a runner, what other sport would you play? Yeah… about that, running really diminishes your ability in other athletic endeavors.
6. What is your major and what do you plan to do with your degree? Communication Arts and History. I'd like to set up a business with some friends next year. I want to get involved in film, probably through writing and producing.
7. If you could travel back in time to any point in history, where would you go? I'd go back to the 1970s… a time when film was at its peak, the Knicks were winning championships, the nation had a bicentennial, and Jimmy Carter was accomplishing what we can't do now, trying to get peace in the Middle East.
8. What is your favorite band? That's tough, but I have to say The Roots because they're one of the only groups that can play at any venue and any festival in the world and keep putting out hits.
9. If you could visit any place in the world, where
would it be?
I would visit Italy and Cannes film festival in France. I'll tell you the places where I will never set foot: Arkansas, Alabama, and Mississippi. Two places I will frequent throughout the rest of my life will be Southern California and the incredible city of Las Vegas.
10. What is one word that describes you and
why? Laid-back. I like taking life with whatever changes
come along and enjoying every moment of it.