Up Close & Personal with Erin Thompson
Banner Elk, NC--As we continue our series of Up Close articles with the Lady Bobcats we meet up with freshman Erin Thompson. This 5'10 forward hails from Ashburn, VA and has started 20 of the 22 games this season.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae? The small college atmosphere, one on one personal attention, the mountainous environment and the women's basketball program all played a role in my decision.
2. How long have you been playing basketball? I've been playing basketball since I was ten years old so for nine years.
3. What are your personal goals for this season? I want to be able to play a part in my team's success and to win 1st place in our conference.
4. What's your favorite basketball memory here at Lees-McRae so far? When we beat Anderson University at their gym for the first time in five years is my favorite memory.
5. Who has been the most influential person on your athletic career? My father; he achieved so much when he was in high school and college. He put a lot of hard work into sports, so much that he was able to play in the NFL. I admire his hard work, and I'm so thankful for all his support while I've been playing basketball.
6. If you weren't playing basketball, what other sport would you play? I would play volleyball.
7. What is your major and what do you plan to do with your degree? I plan to major in either Athletic Training or Sports Management because I want to work in the Health Sciences and/or Sports Sciences field and possibly open up my own fitness center/gym.
8. If you could travel back in time to any point in history, where would you go? I'd travel back to when there were hippies and everything was about peace, love and happiness.
9. What is your favorite book? The Lovely Bones is my favorite book.
10. What is your favorite food? My favorite food is pasta.
11. If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be? I'd like to visit anywhere overseas like Italy or France.
12. What is one word that describes you and why? Entertaining...People say they can always get a good laugh because of the silly things I may do or say.
Erin's Story … My name is Erin J. Thompson, and I am a freshman at Lees-McRae College. Since I was a little toddler, I have always been around the game of basketball. My older sister played and my father coached her various teams while also coaching other boys' basketball teams. Whether I was the mascot for my sister's team or just going with my mom to watch my dad coach, it was easy for me to always be in a basketball atmosphere.
After watching the game of basketball being played and my family being involved, I finally decided to get signed up to play house-league basketball when I was 10. It was not long after when I started playing AAU basketball in the fall, spring and all year around. It was then I began to fall in love with the game of basketball and knew that I wanted to play the sport at the collegiate level.
I continued to play basketball all throughout my years in high school. My senior year, my high school coach sent out tapes to several colleges and universities all over the east coast. I heard back from a lot of them and visited a handful of them as well. But I knew Lees-McRae was for me because I really liked the basketball program, the small campus atmosphere, and the low student to teacher ratio.