Banner Elk, NC--Today we get to know sophomore Maribeth Novak from Homer Glen, IL who scored two goals Saturday in her first game back from injury for the Bobcats.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae? Three things played into my decision to come here; the atmosphere, the people, and soccer.
2. What are your personal goals for this season? I want to play better and stronger than I did in my freshman fall season.
3. What's your favorite Bobcat memory here at Lees-McRae so far? Everyone going out to play our very last game of the season (before the tournament) thinking that we had nothing to gain or lose from winning or losing that game, so we played our hardest and just had fun...and after, when we won, all of our faces from finding out we were going to the CVAC tournament...or when Paige had a concussion from head butting another girl from another team… Sr. night...Caroline screaming NICE BACK BALL BARTON!... or getting run over by one of the girls on the other team we were playing!
4. What is your favorite part of playing soccer here at Lees-McRae? The girls on the team have become my family away from home. They are my new home.
5. Who has been the most influential person on your athletic career? Mr. Mike Mural; he was the man that got me to even start playing club ball.
6. If you weren't playing soccer, what other sport would you play? I would try playing lacrosse, or I would probably still be playing volleyball or softball.
7. What is your major and what do you plan to do with your degree? Pre-health, I plan to attend graduate school and become a physical therapist/occupational therapist or a radiologist.
8. If you could travel back in time to any point in history, where would you go? I would go back and stop myself from dancing in the school parking lot, rolling my ankle and breaking my foot.
9. What is your favorite band? I love all music, mostly country.
10. What is your favorite book? Harry Potter
11. If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be? Anywhere in Europe, but I've always been interested in the Holocaust so I would like to visit the Auschwitz camp.
12. What is one word that describes you and
Maribeth's Story… I was originally registered and ready to head off to Carthage College in Kenosha, Wisconsin (2.5 hours from my house) when I came home one day and my mom told me there was a message on the voicemail. I called and checked it. Renee Lopez had called about playing soccer at a D2 college and asked me to call her back. I sat for awhile and thought about the idea. I do not like change very much and it was very out of the ordinary to decide "what the heck" and take the spontaneous route. I decided to call her a couple days later and asked her about the school. We set up a visit. Once my mom and I landed in Charlotte, NC airport we began driving towards the mountains. Going up and down in the airplane and up and around the mountains gave me the worst migraine I had ever had in my life. We checked in at the Turnpike House and went to the lodge to eat food with Renee. She began asking me questions that I could not even possibly begin to think about because of my pounding head. We finally finished dinner, which seemed like a lifetime of pain, and we went back to the inn to sleep. The next day was much better, we drove around and saw the school and surroundings and I immediately fell in love with them. The school was beautiful, and the mountain range was even more breathtaking. When I got home, I made my decision. I needed to get away from home and experience being 'independent' which I believe that I have achieved. The first three days were terribly hard, and I never thought I would survive, BUT once I made friends and family at Lees-McRae I would never change my mind. If I could go back in time and go somewhere else, I wouldn't.