Banner Elk, NC--Today we meet with another freshman member of the Bobcat team, this one hailing from Mooresville, NC. Martha is pursuing a Pre-Health major while continuing her soccer career.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae? The opportunity for me to play soccer, having always wanted to go to a small school, and loving the mountains all played a part in my decision.
2. What are your personal goals for this season? My personal goal is to improve my punt and become a stronger keeper.
3. What's your favorite Bobcat memory here at Lees-McRae so far? Well, I'd say hanging out with the team on my recruiting visit.
4. Who has been the most influential person on your athletic career? My big brother Ben who was also a keeper has had the biggest influence on my soccer career.
5. If you weren't playing soccer, what other sport would you play? I would run cross country or swim.
6. What is your major and what do you plan to do with your degree? I plan to major in Pre-Health and then continue on to Nursing or Medical School.
7. If you could travel back in time to any point in history, where would you go? I would go back to the period during the Revolutionary War.
8. What is your favorite band? Sister Hazel, Dave Matthews, Barenaked Ladies
9. What is your favorite book? A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon
10. If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be? I would visit Japan, because that is where I was born.
11. What is one word that describes you and why? Determined; when I set my mind to something I don't quit until I have completed it correctly. I also set very high goals and don't let anything get in my way of achieving them.
Martha's Story… I was born in Japan because my dad was in the Navy. We moved to North Carolina when I was nine months old. We stayed in various apartments while our house was being built. The building was delayed because of Hurricane Hugo. We moved into our house in 1990 and have lived in the same house ever since.
I started playing soccer when I was four. And I immediately picked up being a goalkeeper because both my brothers were goalkeepers. I tried various other sports but fell in love with soccer. I played challenge and classic through middle and high school. I loved being around soccer so I was an "official" ball girl for the high school team when my brother played. Chris and Griff Lyerly were members of my brother's team at that point. I knew they had gone to Lees-McRae but it wasn't until after Griff's accident that I considered it. I visited the campus and fell in love at first sight. I applied and got in. Then a chance to play soccer was the cherry on top.