Up Close & Personal with Andrea Balazsova
Banner Elk, NC--Today we meet Andrea Balazsova, a freshman who hails from Prague, Czech Republic. Balazsova is currently playing #2 singles for the Lady Bobcats and most often teams up with classmate Amanda Nascimento for doubles. Join us as we get to know her better.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae? I wanted to get better in tennis and LMC offered me a great opportunity to study and play at the same time.
2. How long have you been playing tennis? I have played from the time I was ten until about 17, and now I am starting again.
3. What are your personal goals for this season? I want to work hard on my tennis and get along with all the teammates and coach as well.
4. What's your favorite tennis memory here at Lees-McRae so far? My favorite memory is when Coach Goode was recruiting me. I aced him with my first serve and according to what he said I am the only girl who has ever achieved that.
5. Who has been the most influential person on your athletic career? The most influential person on my athletic career would have to be my mother.
6. If you weren't playing tennis, what other sport would you play? I would focus more on golf and basketball.
7. What is your major and what do you plan to do with your degree? I am interested in a psychology degree or perhaps criminal justice, but right now I am studying the Core Curriculum, so I don`t have to choose yet.
8. What is your favorite part of being on the tennis team at Lees-McRae? I like the competition and also learning new things about tennis.
9. What is your favorite book? Survivor by Chuck Palahniuck and Naked by David Sedaris are my two favorite books.
10. If you could play in any of the Grand Slams (Australian, French, Wimbledon, U.S. Open) which one would you choose and why? Wimbledon, I think it is the classic tournament on a very interesting surface.
11. If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be? I would like to visit Cuba and South America.
12. What is one word that describes you and why? One word that describes me is "peculiar".
Andrea's Story … My name is Andrea Balazsova, and I am a daughter of Jozef and Nada Balazs. I have an older sister Kristyna (22) and much younger brother (Adam) who is 5. I am from the capital city of Czech Republic - Prague. I was always very active as I was growing up and participated in a lot of sports and other activities. My two main sports were tennis and basketball. I attended high school for advanced children and then I studied two years of Economics in The University of Life Sciences Prague. Then I spent my summer holiday in North Carolina and at the end of the summer I was propositioned to play tennis at LMC. I transferred my credits from the Czech college and hope to get my degree here at LMC.