BANNER ELK, NC--Join us today as we being a series of Up Close & Personal articles with the Lees-McRae women's track & field team. We start off with the sophomore captain of the Bobcats, Erin Tyler, who hails from Branford, FL. Tyler is a multi-event competitor at LMC.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae? I decided to come to Lees-McRae College because it was different from home; I love the mountains and snow. I also wanted a small campus where I could succeed.
2. How long have you been competing in track & field? I have been active in track & field for six years now.
3. What are your personal goals for this season? My personal goals are to overcome my injury and have a successful season.
4. What's your favorite track & field memory here at Lees-McRae so far? My favorite memories at LMC so far would have to be competing at Wake Forest in my first ever Heptathlon and winning the CVAC championship at our home meet.
5. Who has been the most influential person on your athletic career? The most influential person on my athletic career would have to be my old coaches.
6. If you weren't competing in track & field what other sport would you play? I would be doing competitive gymnastics.
7. What is your major and what do you plan to do with your degree? I am a double major in Athletic Training and Physical Education. I plan to teach at an elementary school, coach a sports team, or be a college athletic trainer.
8. If you could travel back in time to any point in history, where would you go? I would go to the 1996 Olympics because that is when the USA women's gymnastics team won their first ever team gold medal.
9. What is your favorite book? The
10. What is your favorite food? My favorite food is pasta.
11. If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be? I would like to visit Australia.
12. What is one word that describes you and why? One word that describes me is outgoing. I am a very big people person I love to meet and get to know people.
Erin's Story … My name is Erin Tyler and I am the daughter of Robert and Kelly Tyler. I am the older of two children and have a brother (Mason) who is 15. I am from a very small country town (Branford, FL).
I was always very active as I was growing up and participated in a lot of sports. My two main sports were gymnastics and track and field. I attended a very small high school so when looking for a college I wanted the same thing. I found LMC and was recruited for track and field. I am now a sophomore and captain of the women's Track and Field Team at Lees-McRae. I have enjoyed my first year and a half here and I am looking forward to the rest of my time here at Lees-McRae.