Up Close & Personal with Katie-Marie Legg
Banner Elk, NC--Leading the Bobcats with ten blocks on the year so far, this middle blocker hails from Alta Loma, CA where she played for Club West. Join us as we get to know this sophomore Sports Managment major up close & personal.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae? It was a different environment from home, and I love the other students...and also the team felt like the best fit for me compared to other schools I looked into.
2. How long have you been playing volleyball? I've been playing for 10 years beginning with clinics and summer camp.
3. What are your personal goals for this season? I want to work on having quicker feet, a quicker block and faster transition...also to form a closer bond with my teammates.
4. What's your favorite volleyball memory here at Lees-McRae so far? It's got to be hugging my teammates with our trophy after we won conference!
5. Who has been the most influential person on your athletic career? My dad...he didn't let me quit in 7th grade when I was a benchwarmer. If I could pick one person to be in the stands at every game, it would be him.
6. If you weren't playing volleyball, what other sport would you play? Is there a professional tanning team?
7. What is your major and what do you plan to do with your degree? Sports management; and I am not really sure, but it is very important to me to become involved with a career I am passionate about.
8. If you could travel back in time to any point in history, where would you go? I'd go back to the mid 1960's and 70's....free love and bell bottoms.
9. What is your favorite book? I'd pick the US Weekly....love, celebrity, gossip.
10. What is your favorite food? I loooove Chinese, sushi, and REAL Mexican food, like the kind you find in Southern California.
11. If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be? I'd go to some tropical beach with great local food.
12. What is one word that describes you and why? Legg-that's my last name, and that's what people call me.
Katie's Story … I am from Rancho Cucamonga, California (Yes, as in 'Next Friday', but it wasn't filmed there). I have one sibling, Charlie, who is three years younger than me. My parents are Mike and Liz, and my dogs are Jack and Jill...my cats are Griff, Grim, Hootie, and Sweet Pea...and the guinea pig is Chloe. Summer is my favorite season because I love the beach and swimming and I can lay outside and absorb the sun. (UV rays release endorphines that create a happy feeling).
I started playing volleyball when I was nine or ten at clinics and camps in the city. Then I played Jr. High and club at Team Hillside, a Christian club started by my church. I then moved on to Alta Loma High School and switched to Club West volleyball. At the JO Invitational my 17's season in which my team placed gold, I was scouted by Jamie and Megan, my coaches from LMC. After several months and many school visits, I decided to sign my letter of intent to Lees-McRae in April of '06. I'm so happy with my decision, I love LMC, but I love my team even more!