Up Close & Personal with Kayli Summers
Banner Elk, NC--Today we finish up our Up Close interviews with the volleyball team by getting to know freshman Kayli Summers. This Collinsville, OK native played for the Tulsa Volleyball Club before making her way to the mountains of North Carolina.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae? It felt like home the first time I visited. Everyone was so nice to me and I just felt that I belonged. I visited many other schools, but I felt like a stranger at all of them. I just knew LMC was the place for me.
2. How long have you been playing volleyball? I started playing in the 8th grade, so five years.
3. What are your personal goals for this season? My goals are to work as hard as I can and be open to any coaching I receive. Also I want to become strongly bonded with my teammates and to be fully dedicated.
4. What's your favorite volleyball memory here at Lees-McRae so far? The very first time I practiced with the girls they were so positive and they helped me to relax and play my game. They were constantly giving me high fives and telling me positive things.
5. Who has been the most influential person on your athletic career? My volleyball coach my junior year, Coach Barker. He taught me so much. He was a very tough coach. He yelled and made us all cry at times but in the end I was a much stronger player because of him.
6. If you weren't playing volleyball, what other sport would you play? Basketball; I played for about seven years but when I discovered the sport of volleyball, I devoted myself to one sport.
7. What is your major and what do you plan to do with your degree? I have not yet decided on my major. I am interested in criminal justice and psychology.
8. If you could travel back in time to any point in history, where would you go? I would go back to my childhood when I used to go camping at the lake with my parents. Those were some of the best times of my life.
9. What is your favorite book? The Five Love Languages
10. What is your favorite food? Seafood…crab legs, potatoes, salad.
11. If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be? I would like to visit Australia.
12. What is one word that describes you and why? Determined… I was determined to play volleyball and go to school at Lees Mcrae. It was my dream, and I didn't give up on it. I am determined to be the best I can be at whatever it may be.