Up Close & Personal with Katie-Marie Legg
Katie-Marie Legg is up next in our series of Up Close interviews with the Lady Bobcats. Legg, a 6'0 junior from Alta Loma, Calif., has 40 blocks (assists and solos combined) credited to her on the season thus far. Off the court she is pursuing a degree in sports management. Join us as we get to know her better today.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae College? Obviously volleyball was the determining factor when I was deciding which school to attend, but LMC turned out to be a smart academic choice as well.
2. What are you most looking forward to this season? I am looking forward to completing the goals our team has set; winning the conference championship (which we are hosting), getting to the NCAA Sweet 16, and then to the Elite 8.
3. In which part of the game does your strength lie? I think I am a good defender at the net as a middle blocker, and I also love to make strong attacks to create openings in the block for my outside and opposite hitters.
4. What do you do to prepare yourself for matches? I have a playlist on my iPod that I listen to while I think about my transition movements and different things I have been working on.
5. Who has had the biggest impact on your volleyball career? My dad has had the biggest impact. I wanted to quit in 7th grade when I was a benchwarmer. He asked me if Misty May would quit a tough match, and after that he spent every free afternoon with me in the school yard, practicing to help me get court time.
6. What is your favorite part about being a member of the Bobcat volleyball team? The laughs and good times with my teammates stand out as the best part about being a Bobcat. Also, the fact that we all are very competitive and push each other to succeed.
7. What personal and team goals have you set for this season? I want to become a better all around player and improve my mental game.
8. What is the biggest mental challenge you face on the court? My biggest challenge is anticipating what choices the opposing setter will make so I can be prepared for a solid block.
9. Who has been the biggest role model in your life? How? My parents have been awesome, and now that I spend less time at home with them I appreciate them even more.
10. What is your idea of a perfect afternoon? A perfect afternoon would be body boarding and playing bochi ball at the beach until sunset and then going to my favorite sushi bar with my best friends Danielle and Ashley.
11. If you could try something new today what would you try and why? I would try a hot stone massage, followed by a seaweed wrap and foot rub, because it feels niiiiiiiiice.
12. Describe your favorite dessert. A sampler platter of flavored cheesecakes, tiramisu, chocolate mousse cake, hot fudge brownie sundae, fried ice cream, and rice krispy treats.