Today we begina series of Up Close & personal interviews with the Lees-McRae women's cross country team. First up for the Lady Bobcats is Demarea Colson, one of two seniors on the squad. Colson, a native of Chesapeake, Va., is business major with a minor in psychology and hopes to end up with a government position or working in the military.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae College? I chose to attend LMC because of the culture shock and to learn new things about myself that I never knew, plus I fell in love with the area.
2. What are you most looking forward to this season? I can't wait to see my girls again. I'm looking foward to having fun and just being able to be myself and to most imporantly get the opportunity to train to make it to NATIONALS.
3. Tell us about the toughest race you ever competed in and what made it so tough. The toughest race was definitely regionals because I wanted to make sure that I secured a spot to nationals while making sure that NO WINGATE female passed me.
4. What do you do to prepare yourself for your cross country races? Nothing...I pace around being nervous, tune everything out. I warm up very slowly and think about what I can eat afterwards.
5. Who has had the biggest impact on your running career? Coach McPhail has had the biggest impact besides my mother. I say that because Coach McPhail believes in me when no one else does.
6. What is your favorite part about being a member of the Bobcat cross country team? I stand above other normal students, getting the opportunity to be known. I'm very proud to be a Bobcat.
7. What personal and team goals have you set for this season? I just want to improve my time from last year and to make it to nationals for my last year of college.
8. What is the biggest mental challenge you face in running? I would say not to doubt myself, knowing that I have the power to pass another female.
9. Where is your favorite place to run and why? BLUEBERRY FARM... That's my favorite place because the atmosphere is so pretty. Karen and I (Karen is another member of my team) always mark how much we have left! lol! It's fun.
10. What is your idea of a perfect afternoon? I would say meeting at 3:00 after classes with the other team members, running, and then not having to go to work afterwards. That by far is the perfect afternoon.
11. If you could try something new today what would you try and why? I would try to get on the most extreme roller coaster ride at a place like Busch Gardens because I'm very afraid of them. I want to get over that. Another one would be doing a pool workout with out my safety belt! lol!
12. Describe your favorite dessert. mmmmmm.. cookie dough ice cream with a piece of chocolate cake.