Up Close and Personal with Carla Swart
Today we meet up with junior Carla Swart as we wrap up our Up Close & Personal articles with the Lady Bobcats' cross country team. Swart was named Conference Carolinas Runner of the Week for week eight and is an integral part of the squad. Swart, a dual athlete at Lees-McRae, also has several national titles to her name in road, track and mountain bike cycling. Join us as we get to know her.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae College? I like the mountains and the area.
2. What are you most looking forward to this season? I am looking forward to 6:30 a.m. weight training with plenty of rap music!
3. What do you do to prepare yourself for your cross country races? I try to eat and sleep well and listen to music so that I don't get too nervous.
4. Who has had the biggest impact on your running career? The South Forsyth cross country team has had the biggest impact.
5. What is your favorite part about being a member of the Bobcat cross country team? My favorite part is getting in shape by schooling boys in ultimate Frisbee!
6. What personal and team goals have you set for this season? I want to help the team secure a spot for nationals and also break my PR.
7. What is the biggest mental challenge you face in running? My biggest challenge is to keep myself and my breathing relaxed.
8. Where is your favorite place to run and why? My favorite place to run is anywhere right alongside the ocean or in the Asheville area.
9. What is your idea of a perfect afternoon? It would start with a bike ride and end with a swim in the ocean.
10. If you could try something new today what would you try and why? I want to go to the Grand Canyon and try whitewater rafting or kayaking…I feel a bit adventurous today!
11. Describe your favorite dessert. It's very